Wineries and Wine Bars in Canton, Ohio
In Canton and Stark County, we have a growing appreciation for wine and wineries. Gervasi, for example, is repeated numerous times throughout TAB because it’s just flat out gorgeous and a cool destination. However, we have more places than one to go when you’re craving a glass of wine or want an attractive view.
While we may not have as much “land” (that is empty space void of buildings and roads for you city folks) as T-County for all of our wineries, we do have a few, true wineries with nice outdoor scenery.
Maize Valley Market and Winery
Located in Hartville, somewhat close to the Flea Market (day trip anyone?) this market and winery are fully vested with autumn. They host a bucket of harvest related activities such as a corn maze, pumpkin canons, a wine and wool festival and more. Its location is surrounded by fields (they started out as farmers) and the grapes are grown on the premises. You can sample each of the wines to find a winner, buy a glass, or buy the whole bottle.
- Go hungry, they have a cafe and deli featuring soups, sandwiches, fresh baked items and more.
- Consider joining a Vintner’s Dinner for 5 courses and wine pairings.
- Take the family, there are a lot of family-centered activities and the location is totally kid-friendly.
- Megasaurus – a fire-breathing dinosaur that eats a whole car. Yep. In Hartville, Ohio.
Mon – Thurs: 9AM- 6PM
Fri – Sat: 9AM – 10PM
Sunday – Closed after October until May
6193 Edison St. NE (St. Rt. 619)
Hartville, Ohio 44632
A tad in the sticks, but totally worth the drive (basically a straight shot down route 30). You’ll be surrounded with farms and woods, and the drive through Navarre is also very scenic. They have wine tastings and flights, with many of their offerings grown on-site.
- Eat gourmet pizza (they’re big and they’re cheap). Other appetizers available.
- Wines from Ohio, sweet sangria, and some other options from Cali.
- Cheap-o alert! They usually have a winery special, 3 preselected bottles for $30.
- Cozy two-tops for couples beside the stone fireplace. Can we say date night?
- This place is pretty laid back, you could even bring board games if you plan to stay a while. The huge, long tables make it great for lots of friends.
Tues – Thurs: 1PM-9PM
Fri – Sat: 1PM-10PM
Sun: 1PM-8PM (closed Monday)
11877 Poorman St.
Navarre, OH 44662
Gervasi Bistro and Winery
We’ve covered the outdoor piazza pretty extensively, but can you just imagine all of those luxurious green trees with pretty fall colors, or even snow on the branches? Yep. It’s still beautiful outside of spring and summer. Although the piazza closes after fall, the grand inside is outfitted in old, reclaimed wood with ornate decor and warm finishes. It’s a must on your to-do list for the fall and winter.
- Loft area with couches and comfortable chairs.
- Pizzas, cheese and meat trays, other sharables.
- Turn an afternoon of wine flights into dinner.
- Perfect spot to take out of towners to show them we can be “fancy.”
- Tip: Make reservations, as I have yet to go without the place being full.
Fri: 5PM-10 PM
Sat: 12PM-10PM Winebar until 11PM
Sun: 12PM-8PM (Closed Monday)
1700 55th Street NE
Canton, OH 44721
Specialty Wineries and Wine Bars
Sometimes, there are some great wines to be had in fun and cozy places, but not necessarily with a view (or with varietals or wines native to Ohio). We are okay with that! Here are some of the wine bars in Canton to go when a) it’s just plain cold and/or dreary outside b) you want to go have some good West Coast or European wine.
Meniru Meadery & Brewery
Meniru is a family-owned artisan winery in Canton, Ohio. The 30 different wines are all hand crafted in small batches, and so are their hard ciders. If you’re wondering what mead is and why it’s included in this list, it’s honey wine. This is special because it’s much less traditional than other wineries we have in the area, and the process of using honey is so versatile that the end product can be super dry or drippingly sweet.
- Meniru offers a growler that can be filled with “wines on tap” or cider. $7 growler, $17 fill up ($18 if you bring your own growler).
- Taste 5 wines for $9, one wine tasting for $2.
- They now offer their own hand-crafted brews! IPAs, ales, porter and more.
- Buy wines by the glass or growler and mead by the bottle or tasting.
- Ukulele players twice a month on the 1st and 3rd Thursdays.
Mon-Fri 4PM-8 PM
Saturdays 3PM- 10PM
Meniru Meadery and Brewery
5868 Fulton Drive NW
Canton, Ohio 44718
Vinoteca is a spot I found years back by chance, but had in actuality passed the wine shop/wine bar numerous times without realizing (it’s right beside Tam O’ Shanter golf course). The wine store is phenomenal. We aren’t talking wine shops here though, so back to the topic, the tasting room is through a separate door. It’s really beautiful and ambient inside and is perfect for dates and cozy get-togethers.
- The tasting room is so cozy and warm, with table seating or chairs at the wine bar.
- Outdoor seating with a really nice view and live music inside on certain dates.
- Great selection of wines from various regions.
- The owners know everything about wine, especially the ones they serve.
Fri-Sat 5:00PM–11:30PM (wine shop open different hours)
Vinoteca Wine Bar
4921 Hills and Dales Rd NW
Canton, OH 44708
The Barrel Room
This wine bar is well-known, especially among those in the North Canton area. The owner, Adam, does a fantastic job of stocking up on affordable (unbelievably so) wines and beers. He has a great nose for them, and you can be confident that if you like a Shiraz, you’re definitely going to like the Shiraz on the list. There aren’t local wines here, but lots of local art, people and musicians.
- Live music on weekdays and weekends.
- Private rooms if you want to host a party or get together.
- Outside seating, loft area, indoor high tops, low tables and bar seating.
- Craft beer and wine on the list to appease all. Snacks and appetizers are available as well.
- Wine and beer tastings (with great instructors) on certain dates – find on their site.
The Barrel Room Wine Bar
7901 Cleveland Ave NW
North Canton, Ohio 44720
Grapes In A Glass
This wine bar is a newbie to the arts district in Downtown Canton, and we definitely welcome it with open arms. Tamara, owner and Sommelier, hand picks all of the wines and makes sure to stock up on all varieties and regions to accommodate different palates. Another unique aspect of this downtown wine bar is the ability to take wine classes to learn more about each varietal, region and expand your own taste for wine.
- Wine flights are affordable and paired well
- Have a friend that doesn’t like wine (whaaaat?), Grapes in a Glass offers unique, craft beers.
- Soak up some of the great wine with appetizers and finger food, or order sushi and have it delivered from Basil.
- The wine may not be local, but the art, live music and jewelry are.
Wed-Saturday: 4PM – 11PM
Grapes in a Glass
575 Market Ave. N
Canton, Ohio 44702
Now that you know where to find us this fall, where are your favorite places to grab a glass of wine in the Canton area?