Wineries in Tuscarawas County
Ohio in the fall is amazing. It’s the one season when you won’t find many residents complaining; with cooler air, brighter leaves and abundant pumpkin patches (or treats that come from those pumpkins), people around here are generally pretty happy. Another nice thing about Ohio? We’ve really tried our hand in wine. Nothing can beat the beautiful wineries we have in our area, especially in autumn.
This piece is the beginning of our Northeast Ohio Wine series, and starts in the Tuscarawas County and Coshocton County areas. You may know them for Amish country or Longaberger Baskets, but there have been many wineries to pop up around the area, too.
Raven’s Glenn Winery
This is one of my favorites in the area. There are a ton of wines to choose from which are grown, fermented and sold at this location. Varietals range from chardonnay to merlot to ice wine. In addition to the wide selection of wine, the location is fantastic. When you tour the grounds, you’ll notice the amazing view along the Tuscarawas River including trees, vines and of course, the river. It’s totally relaxing and very peaceful.
- Sunday Champagne Brunch 11:30am – 2:30pm.
- Free tours of the winery on Saturdays at 3 pm, allow yourself 45 minutes for tour and tasting.
- Private tours can be scheduled for groups of 12 or more by appointment only. $5.50 per person (includes winery tour, wine tasting, and etched wine glass).
- Dining inside and outside on the deck (weather permitting). Large menu of items, mainly Italian dishes.
- Ravens Glenn has coupons.
Wine tasting and sales conducted seven days a week.
56183 CR 143
West Lafayette, Ohio 43845
Raven’s Glenn Winery Website
You may be familiar with the well-known Breitenbach Annual Dandelion Festival (in May) or you may have even seen the wine on the shelves at Beuhler’s, but did you know you can visit the winery year round? Not only can you tour the area but you can sample wines, such as Rieslings, Cabernet, Merlot, Shiraz, Zinfandel, Viniferas and Sangiovese while overlooking hills, trees and “the sticks”.
- Eat wood fired pizzas, paninis or salads at the cafe which overlooks the land. Food is priced around $8 per item.
- 40 Varieties of wines to choose from Frost Fire, Roadhouse Red and First Crush are the most popular wines.
- Music and BBQs on Saturday from 1:00 – 4:00 pm through October.
- Also a gift shop and popular tourist stop.
Breitenbach Tasting Hours Monday through Saturday 9-6pm.
5934 Old Route 39 NW
Dover, OH 44622
Breitenbach Winery Website
Silver Moon Winery
Silver Moon Winery started off educating guests about creating their own wine, but now at this Dover winery, they have their shop and winery in one, with education still a main component. The shop is open so you can buy your fav bottles and take them home with you right then and there, but there is also custom wines and labeling on site. Create and print your labels right in the winery and take them with you the very same day for whatever occasion may be coming up – or maybe just for fun.
- Silver Moon Winery produces over 40 wines from sweet to dry.
- Tasting counter and group tastings available all year.
- The staff can guide you through lists of wine and let you know what you’re tasting.
Open Monday – Saturday 9:00 AM – 6:00 PM4915 Old Route 39 NW
Dover, OH 44622
Silver Moon Winery Website
Swiss Heritage Winery
This winery actually has some sneaky branding – it’s actually the Broad Run Cheesehouse. Not a bad combo though, wine and cheese; I think they were on to something. These wines are available by the bottle exclusively at the Broad Run Cheese House.
- Wines include specialties like Rhubarb Strawberry, Chardonnay, Back to the 40s Red
- Buy online and the bottles can be shipped to an address inside the state of Ohio
- Your wine will be served in character, with swiss heritage shining through
Monday though Saturday from 9 am to 6 pm
6011 Old Route 39 NW
Swiss Heritage Winery Website
School House Winery
Set in an old, renovated one-room school house (a school house over 100 years old), this winery has more to offer than just the themed inside. The outdoor area is large and plentiful and the area lends itself to great foliage and views.
- Each wine is labeled in theme to the school house, such as “equation”, “bully red” and “teachers pet”.
- The interior follows the theme, chalk boards and student desks (also regular chairs, don’t worry).
- Bottles are priced around $15 and pizzas are available for $10.
Hours: Tuesday Thru Thursday 12pm – 9pm
Friday and Saturday 12pm – 10pm
Closed On Sunday And Monday
455 Schneiders Crossing Rd NW
Dover, OH 44622
School House Winery Website
Rainbow Hills Vineyard
Newcomerstown has two winery/bed and breakfast combos and this is the first, Rainbow Hills. I went to this winery while in college (yes, my geography class was ‘Ohio Wines’ and of course that is probably only allowed at Kent State. …where’s Syria?) and we loved everything about it. The owners are friendly, there was a dog to play with and the wine was pretty good too. It is so very much in the woods that you have to drive down a very long dirt and gravel road to get there, which can be cumbersome in the wrong vehicle, but the scenery is beautiful.
- Food and appetizers with tastings and bottles for sale
- The wine is made in Ohio and features several varietals from concord to reisling to cab.
- Rainbow Hills and the Bed & Breakfast are open 7 days a week, year round.
Hours: Mon-Sat 11 a.m.-6 p.m.; Jun-Oct 1: Fri-Sat 11 a.m.-9 p.m.
26349 T.R. 251
Newcomerstown, OH 43832
Yellow Butterfly Winery
This winery is tucked in Newcomerstown and surrounded by great views. Not only can you experience the winery for an afternoon, you can stay at the Bed & Breakfast on site. The wines tend to be sweet and fruity, so think many concord (think alcoholic Welch’s grape juice) and native Ohio varietals.
- Large decks, lots of outside room, surrounded by rolling fields and trees.
- Inside area rustic with wood covered walls and deck. Tables are set up throughout the area, but if you prefer to roam around, there is a tasting bar.
- This joint has a tasting bar and you can buy three tastings for only a dollar (I love this price.)
Thursday to Saturday – 11:00am to 6:00pm – Later on Saturdays.
Thursday October 30th – The Yellow Butterfly Winery begins its Fall/Winter schedule.
December – winter music series begins inside the winery.
11661 Blue Ridge Rd.
Newcomerstown, Oh 43832
Yellow Butterfly Winery Website
Overall, T-County is flowing with wine and great scenery, making it fantastic for a day trip, or an overnight stay. While I grew up around the area, I really hadn’t had the opportunity to realize how neat it was, and took it for granted until moving further away. I would highly recommend checking this out and making a trip out of it. And hey, if Ohio wineries aren’t your thing, there’s always Amish Country right down the road.